|Banner advertisements by bbqads.com|
In Reply to: Is a Stumps Smoker worth the extra money? posted by Blake Moody on September 06, 2012 at 08:40:08:
In the long run, if you're competing regularly and vending, yes, a Stumps will be a good choice. But a few things to consider:
1. If vending, will your Health Department require NSF certified equipment? If so, I'm unsure Stumps can help you there.
2. Have you competed yet? If not, I would personally invest in 2-3 WSM smokers, compete for 1-2 years to see where you are at, and then upgrade from there. A $1,000 in WSM you can probably resell quickly for $900 is better than $5,000 in a Stumps trailer that will take time to sell.
3. We get that people go crazy for your Que, however, competition IS different. How I cooked before, how I cook for comp and how I now cook @ home are all widely different.
4. If really looking for a gravity fed (I have gravity smokers and love them) look at the other makers as well. DW Cookers, Assassin, Superior, or if you're handy and have the tools, build one yourself. Lots of plans out there to help you do it and can build to the size you want for less than you'll pay for Stumps.
5. Stumps used to have (not sure if now) a pretty good lead time on builds, so if you think you'll order it and tada, 2 weeks its in your hands, I'd check and see if that's the case. You could be looking at 2-4 months before delivery.
The BBQ Forum Home Page