|Banner advertisements by bbqads.com|
In Reply to: First 2 KCBS Ribs posted by Cammo's BBQ on April 28, 2013 at 09:17:06:
We had a very solid run in AZ KCBS (2009-2010) contests using this cooking method.
1) Spares trimmed St. Louis, bigger the better.
2) Rub, then 3-2-1 method at 250 grate level on a Pro Q Excel 20, bone side down. Once ribs are on, we never even lifted the lid once until the 3 was up. Oh yeah, cherry/apple wood combo....chunks.
3)Once the 3 was finished, remove and place each individual rack bone side up in 2 layers of HD foil.
4) Add about 1/8 cup of liquid, we used AJ. Wrap tightly and back on cooker.
5) 2 more hours at 250 grate level, never once opening lid.
6) Remove after the 2, open foil and let each rack "reset" for about 5-10 minutes.
7) Back on the smoker at 250 grate level (no foil), layering sauce every 10-15 minutes.
8) Slice, box, cross fingers.
For the record, we have done well using this technique through 2010. We are way out of the KCBS game due to a relocation issue. The last time we used this technique, it did end poorly for us in a March 2013 KCBS comp.
Best of luck.
The BBQ Forum Home Page