|Banner advertisements by bbqads.com|
In Reply to: oak / mistletoe posted by Buddy on January 30, 2014 at 16:17:09:
I would not use the oak for cooking, it could have some of the mistletoe in it. The mistletoe is a parasite and attaches itself to its host. Stuff is posion. See below.
from http://chemistry.about.com/od/christmaschemistry/f/mistletoe-toxicity.htm :
There are several species of mistletoe. The Phoradendron species contain a toxin called phoratoxin, which can cause blurred vision, nausea, abdominal pain, diarrhea, blood pressure changes, and even death. The Viscum species of mistletoe contain a slightly different cocktail of chemicals, including the poisonous alkaloid tyramine, which produce essential the same symptoms. Although mistletoe has therapeutic uses, eating any part of the plant (particularly the leaves or berries) or drinking a tea from the plant can result in sickness and possibly death. Unlike the holiday poinsettia, which has a bad reputation yet probably won't do more than make you feel sick if you eat it, mistletoe ingestion warrants a call to Poison Control and immediate medical attention.
from http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002883.htm :
Email this page to a friendPrinter-friendly versionMistletoe is an evergreen plant with white berries. Mistletoe poisoning occurs when someone eats any part of this plant. Poisoning can also occur if you drink tea created from the plant or its berries.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
The poisonous ingredient is found in all parts of the plant, but especially in the leaves.
Eyes, ears, nose, mouth, and throat
Heart and blood
The BBQ Forum Home Page